Wednesday, December 10, 2014

I am such a procrastinator



My life is a monument to procrastination, to the art of putting things off until later, or much later, or possibly never.
- Craig Brown



I'm convinced I was born with it.  It was certainly not an acquired trait as I remember my parents being on my case throughout my childhood to get me to do things in due time.  I just wasn't having it.

Somehow I'm very good at convincing myself that there is still a lot of time to get things done even when I'm literally at the deadline's door.  I'll come up with million excuses to delay and postpone unless of course it's something that I love to do.

Why do I do that?  Because I am a chronic procrastinator.

Procrastination (noun): The action of delaying or postponing something, especially something requiring immediate attention

Currently I'm happy because for once in a very long time I'm getting things done ahead of time. Christmas is hurling towards us at the neck breaking pace and I'm glad I'm not leaving everything for the very last week.  When I say everything, I mean everything.  Every year before this one I've left all Christmas cleaning, shopping and cooking for the last week.

Not any more.

I have started the cleaning about a week ago and I'm sticking to the schedule.  'One room a day' is my plan and so far it is working out great.  Social media is helping out enormously because I've announced to the world what I'm doing.  Maybe that is the key.  Accountability to my virtual friends. I'll take a note of that.

I've even put up a little Christmas tree in the dining room.  It's not our main tree yet as that will come this coming weekend.  This one is a little artificial tree that keeps us company at the Christmas dinner every year but until now it always got dressed up one day before.

It is slowly beginning to feel like Christmas.

I am not going to kid myself and think that somehow I've beat my life long procrastination curse .  I know I haven't.  Sooner or later it will bear its ugly head again.  Until then I will enjoy my little victory.






No comments:

Post a Comment