Friday, December 12, 2014

Are you an introvert?

I didn't always know that I'm an introvert.  As a matter of fact, up until few years ago I didn't even know the term.  My daughter walked into my office one day, smiled and said: "Mom, you're an introvert.  I hope you know that". With that she sparked my curiosity and set me on the road to self discovery.

Since childhood I knew I was a little different.  Somehow I convinced myself that it was my fault and that I needed to work on being normal whatever people thought the normal was.

The thing is, in a weird way I was happy with who I was.  It's the other people in my life that wanted me to change.  I heard that I need to socialize more, go out more and make more friends.  I didn't want to do any of those things. The close knit family circle was all that I needed and wanted.


English dictionary defines introvert as shy and reticent person. While some introverts are shy, not all of them are.

Take me for example. I'm not afraid to talk to people.  When I don't talk to people it's because I don't want to.  Maybe I don't see a reason or maybe I have nothing to say at the moment.  I rather say nothing than engage in small talk. Small talk is exhausting and drives me bonkers.  I like meaningful conversations.

The English verb 'to introvert' means 'to turn inward'.  That is much better definition.  Introvert derives energy from within. Introvert turns inward to recharge.  While extroverts need to be with other people to feel energized, introverts need to be alone to do just that.  This is difficult for some people to understand and I've come to realize that over and over again.



Here are some signs that you too might be an introvert.  Check them out and see what you think.

1. You love solitude.  A lot.

2. You feel more comfortable being alone than being with other people.

3. You find small talk very cumbersome.

4. You go to parties but not to meet people.

5. Being with other people drains you and you need to be alone afterwards to re-energize.

6. There is a constant monologue running in your head.

7. You are in a relationship with an extrovert.  Somehow.

8. When attending a show it is your worst nightmare when that show requires public participation.

9. You screen all your calls and sometimes wish that the phone wasn't invented at all.

10. You love to write.

11. You make plans with someone only to start seeking for an excuse to cancel them shortly after.

12. You are a great listener.

13. You have a rich inner world and rarely get bored.

14.  You avoid weddings like a plague

15. You have few close friends instead of many acquaintances








1 comment:

  1. Hummm. The only ones that fit me are # 1,2,3,5,6,7,8,9,12,13,14,& 15. Well OK # 10 but I don't seem to get around to doing it as often as I would like. So it goes . . . .

    ReplyDelete